Thursday, January 17, 2013

Emo-ing About HMV

As most would have known by now, HMV is entering administration. Am reading many news reports and articles online and this particular one titled, The death of traditional retailers like HMV started when we caught on to one-click and the joy of owning DVDs wore thin, hit hard. To me, the writer had put up real  justified reasons/explanations, which were staring hard at me and had me questioning if I'm like that too.

HMV is a very huge part of my life. When I was in my teens, digital formats were not readily available. Besides buying the singles/EPs and albums of my favourite aritsts, when I like a certain song, I would buy the single/EP to keep it, to own a piece of it. If the single/EP wasn't available, I would buy the full album. So, I would get my music from neighbourhood shops and Tower Records.

When HMV hit town, I abandoned these for HMV and pledged my allegiance to HMV. I was like a fangirl. Even when Tower Records were exiting Singapore, I was emotionless and was hoping that HMV would still stay. Even if HMV was slightly slower in getting the stocks compared to other shops, I waited for them to get it. Even if passes to autograph sessions were only available with purchase exclusively at other shops, I would still purchase from HMV and go to the autograph session, fully contended to wait at the back of the line. You could say, I grew up with HMV. I also had a small wish the moment I had pledged my allegiance, to work at HMV some day. Serious, I kid you not.

As I grew older, digital formats were so readily available. But space in my room was not so readily available. After many years of keeping these physical copies, I had a lot. With the ease and convenience of digital formats, to save space and to also save money, I chose to only buy the albums of my favourite artists. As for the songs that I like, I will just get the digital format or go online to listen to them.

After I was done with all the treatment, I decided to study instead of going back into the workforce. I was looking for a part-time job to earn a little dough while studying. So, when I chanced upon a HMV recruitment ad, I jumped at it as many of you could have guessed. And woohoo, I fulfilled the wish of working at HMV.

If I were to find a scapegoat, can I just blame it on the current CEO Trevor Moore and his predecessor Simon Fox just because they do not have fingers that would turn anything into gold when touched (an article by The Huffington Post article)? Right now, I have no clue as to what will happen to the stores in Singapore. I'm now feeling a little lost as well. Where can I get all my CDs and DVDs and Blurays should HMV exit Singapore?! At this time of writing, HMV Ireland has closed all stores...

I know just by liking a Facebook page/group may not help that much, but at this point of time, anything goes. So please "like" Save HMV. Thank You so very much!

No comments: