Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Parenting101?

I remembered when I was younger, growing up and trying to be a little adult, I refused to hold my parents' or guardian's hand while crossing the road. I wanted to show them I was old enough to cross the road on my own, but they nevertheless still grabbed my hand or arm and refused to let go. Now I finally know why they did what they did... They wanted to make sure I'm safe and to protect me.

Whenever I see kids running around without supervision at the supermarket or at some eating place, I get angry at their parents/guardian. People are pushing trolleys or carrying trays of hot food. Should the kid gets knocked by the trolley or gets scalded by the hot food, who's the blame? So, I tell myself, my kid should never leave my side in case any accident happens.

That CCTV footage of 2 vehicles running over a little toddler in Foshan, China, attracted a lot of attention worldwide. Some criticized the people who walked past the scene without rendering any help, some criticized the lady who helped saying she helped because she wants to be famous, some criticized the drivers, some criticized the moral values of the country, some criticized the law and policies, etc.. I'm not here to point fingers at who's right or wrong, nor am I writing this to criticize on morals, law, policies, etc..

When I first saw the footage, I was horrified and shocked. A little girl, lying in a pool of blood being ignored. Of the first few questions I had after watching the footage, one was "where are the parents"... I then shared the footage on Facebook. One of the reasons why I decided to share was because I want it to serve as a reminder to myself, not to let my kids venture away from me, from my sight. Accidents do happen, and it's up to me to protect my kid and keep him/her as safe as possible to try to prevent an accident from happening...

No comments: